Official Minutes of the December 7, 2017 Council Meeting
Approved by City Council at the January 11, 2018 Council Meeting
The Council meeting was called to order by Mayor Rozier with Councilman Myrick giving the Invocation. Councilmembers Griffin, Grizzard, Kerby, Key, Myrick, Otto, City Administrator Akridge and City Clerk Diane Proudfoot were present.
Councilman Griffin made a motion to approve the draft copy of the minutes of the November 16, 2017 council meeting. Councilman Grizzard seconded the motion and it passed without opposition. Councilwoman Key made a motion to approve the agenda of the December 7, 2017 council meeting with the addition of Item #5 Consider Cancelation of December 21, 2017 meeting. Councilwoman Griffin seconded the motion and it passed without opposition.
ADMINISTRATIVE AND COMMITTEE REPORTS:
Councilman Kerby acknowledged he has enjoyed working with Councilmen Myrick & Otto and expressed his appreciation for their service to the City and hoped they would continue to be involved.
Conditional Use Request submitted by Jeffrey L. Hardin of Harco Construction to locate and operate a Construction Contractor business in a C-1 Zoning District, The subject property is located at 1410 W. Highway 80. Councilwoman Griffin made a motion to open Public Hearing. Councilman Grizzard seconded the motion and it passed. Jeffrey Hardin stated they are a site prep company and has been in business for about 17 years in Springfield but are looking to locate closer to work and would like to put an office/shop combo at this site. Councilman Myrick questioned the work hours and was advised by Mr. Hardin they usually come to the shop around 6:30am and leave by 5:00 or 6:00 in afternoon and they do work some Saturdays. Question was also asked if there would be any repair/maintenance and Mr. Hardin stated they do not do any mechanic work and there would not be any night work.
Betty Johnson 1613 W. Hwy 80 across from the site but is here to represent nephew Jonathan Blocker of Chatham Nursery stated the main concern is beauty, she also stated the businesses in the area are semi hidden from view and was concerned of the site of large equipment etc.
There being no other comments Councilman Grizzard made a motion to close the Public Hearing. Councilwoman Griffin seconded the motion and it passed.
1. Consider a Conditional Use Request submitted by Jeffrey L. Hardin of Harco Construction to locate and operate a Construction Contractor business in a C-1 Zoning District, The subject property is located at 1410 W. Highway 80. Councilman Kerby stated that a site plan would have to be submitted and any conditions needed would be during the site plan process. Councilman Kerby made a motion to approve the Conditional Use request to Jeffrey Hardin for Harco Construction at 1410 W. Hwy 80. Councilwoman Griffin seconded the motion and it passed.
2. Consider Planning Commission appointment renewals of Betty Burke, Jarrod Waller and Mike Bazemore for seats 5,6,7 for two year terms. City Administrator Akridge stated these all three members have expressed a desire to continue on the Commission. Councilwoman Griffin made a motion to approve the renewals for Mrs. Burke, Mr. Waller and Mr. Bazemore for Commission seats 5,6,7 for two years. Councilwoman Griffin seconded the motion and it passed.
3. Consider a Home Occupation License application submitted by Mr. Roy Schrum at 305 Walnut Street for an Information Technology Consulting Business doing business as Chatham Technology Group, Inc. Councilwoman Griffin made a motion to table this item since Mr. Schrum was not in attendance. Councilman Grizzard seconded the motion and it passed.
Official minutes 12-7-17 con't (page2):
4. Consider entering into a Contract with Middle Georgia Probation for probation services. City Administrator stated this is a new contract requirement of the existing Middle Georgia Probation Contract, Judge Edenfield and Attorney Dickey recommends approval. Councilman Kerby made a motion to approve the contract. Councilwoman Key seconded the motion and it passed.
5. Consider cancellation of the December 21 council meeting. Councilwoman Key made a motion to cancel the December 21 meeting since it was so closed to Christmas. Councilwoman Griffin seconded the motion and it passed.
Councilman Grizzard made a motion to go into Executive Session. Due to the Executive Session not being added to the agenda Councilman Grizzard withdrew his motion.
Mayor Rozier reported that this concluded the items presented for consideration for inclusion on the Council agenda prior to the deadline of Wednesday, November 29, 2017.
Councilman Myrick made a motion to pay the bills. Councilman Myrick seconded the motion and it passed.
There being no further business, Councilman Otto made a motion to adjourn at 7:43pm. Councilman Kerby seconded the motion and it passed.
Diane Proudfoot, City Clerk
Note: Section § 50-14-1 of the Official Code of the State of Georgia Annotated requires that the minutes shall, as a minimum, include a description of each motion or other proposal made, and a record of all votes. These minutes meet the minimum requirements. However, in an attempt to provide as much information as possible to the citizens, the recording clerk has included additional background data and discussion on the subjects presented to council. The statements of individuals are not verbatim and may be summary in nature.