Official minutes of the October 16, 2014 Council Meeting
Approved by City Council November 6, 2014
The council meeting was called to order by Mayor Rozier with Councilman Myrick giving the invocation. Councilmembers Griffin, Grizzard, Kerby, Key, Myrick, Otto, Attorney Raymond Dickey, City Administrator Charles Akridge and Asst. City Clerk Diane Proudfoot were present.
Councilman Myrick made a motion to approve the draft copy of the minutes of the October 2, 2014 council meeting. Councilman Grizzard seconded the motion and it passed with six affirmative votes. Councilman Myrick made a motion to approve the agenda of the October 16, 2014 meeting with the addition of item #7 Consider cancellation of January 1, 2015 meeting and hold one meeting on January 15, 2015. Councilman Grizzard seconded the motion and it passed with six affirmative votes.
Administrative & Committee reports:
City Administrator Akridge stated there is a “Scarecrow” contest and the details were in the newsletter but more information can be obtained by contacting Recreation Director Foley.
Councilwoman Griffin: The bon-fire and trunk-or-treat will be Friday, October 24th at 6:00pm at Taylor Park; the homecoming parade will be Saturday, October 25th with lineup behind the school beginning at 8:00am.
1) PRESENTATION by Police Chief Roy Pike. Chief Pike presented Sergeant Alan Elliott with a letter of promotion from Sergeant to Lieutenant.
2) Consider request from Westside Christian Church to hold the annual Christmas tree sale. Councilwoman Griffin made a motion to approve the annual Christmas tree sale fundraiser for the Westside Christian Church. Councilwoman Key seconded the motion and it passed without opposition.
3) Consider action on delinquent garbage accounts (motion combined with item #5)
4) Consider action on delinquent fire protection accounts (motion combined with item #5)
5) Consider action on delinquent accounts outside the corporate limits of the City of Bloomingdale. Councilman Myrick made a motion to authorize the City Administrator to issue letters for collection and legal action on the delinquent accounts over sixty (60) days for garbage accounts, fire protection accounts and accounts outside the corporate limits. Councilman Grizzard seconded the motion and it passed without opposition.
6) Consider “writing off” delinquent accounts of deceased, transient or deemed otherwise uncollectable inactive accounts. City Administrator Akridge stated there is a list of inactive delinquent accounts for approximately $97,000 and it was recommended by the Auditor to clear the books but to keep the information on file. Councilman Grizzard made a motion to write off these delinquent accounts. Councilman Otto seconded the motion and it passed without opposition.
7) Consider cancellation of the January 1, 2015 council meeting. Councilman Otto made a motion to cancel the January 1, 2015 council meeting and hold one meeting that month on January 15, 2015. Councilman Kerby seconded the motion and it passed without opposition.
Mayor Rozier reported that this concluded the items presented for consideration for inclusion on the Council agenda prior to the deadline of Wednesday, October 8, 2014.
The accounts payables were presented with Councilman Myrick making a motion to pay the bills, Councilman Kerby seconded the motion and it passed without opposition.
There being no further business, Councilman Otto made a motion to adjourn at 7:13pm. Councilwoman Griffin seconded the motion and it passed without opposition.
Diane Proudfoot, Asst. City Clerk
Note: Section § 50-14-1 of the Official Code of the State of Georgia Annotated requires that the minutes shall, as a minimum, include a description of each motion or other proposal made, and a record of all votes. These minutes meet the minimum requirements. However, in an attempt to provide as much information as possible to the citizens, the recording clerk has included additional background data and discussion on the subjects presented to council. The statements of individuals are not verbatim and may be summary in nature.